Tuesday 2 March 2010

Experimenting with Water





One of my main tasks was to look into the water effects around the Island. I tried lots of different shaders and textures (for example photographs of ocean as a blinn and reducing the transparency), but I found that the Ocean shader in Maya looked the best. My only problem with it is the reflectivity at the moment so I shall have to experiement more.

When I imported the water into the Castle file I found that it jumps for no apparent reason:


Water Environment from Hayley Allen on Vimeo.



So I started again in the same file and found that it did not do it this time. I have not made the water move much as we decided it is going to be a reasonably calm moonlit night, so rough seas would not work. I will make my boat move slightly in the water but not too much as it will not match its surroundings.

However, when I zoomed into Lydia's section the water looks more blocky. I don't know if the team wants it kept this way or if not I will make another plane for the inside so that detail is not lost. This should be easy to achieve quickly and will give us alternatives of what looks best.

Water inside from Hayley Allen on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment